My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Too much about me to list here...read my blog...you'll get to know me quite well.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Done with JJ Issue

From PokerStars:

We reviewed the "JJProdigy" account on PokerStars and discovered that
he had played multiple accounts in some of our tournaments. This is
against our tournament rule #21:

http://www.pokerstars.com/tournamentsrules.html

Because of the severity of the infraction, we closed the "JJProdigy"
account. Obviously, we don't like closing a player's account, but the
integrity of our games and tournaments is our highest priority and we
will do whatever is necessary to ensure it.

Regards,

Grant
PokerStars Support Team


Then it was posted today on PocketFives.com that JJProdigy is, in fact, a 16 year old.

That changed my entire outlook on the situation. Not that what he did wasn't wrong all of a sudden, it is. He's still a cheat and still deserved just punishment, IMO, but....

As I posted on PocketFives.com:

My take on the issue:

What a monumental mistake, it doesn't bother me that he's 16, but the world
seems to be crumbling for him right now and I feel sorry for him. If PokerStars
has closed his account now, it seems reasonable that other sites are going to
follow suit which means his bankrolls on all sites will be confiscated and what
a blow that would be to an adult, let alone a child.

Before the flames start, "He deserves it, he's a cheating scumbag" blah blah
blah, keep in mind now that if he's really 16, this could drive him to do
something that I don't really want to think about, and that's why I feel sorry
for him. I hope his parents are around and I hope he has good friends nearby.

Think of how fragile a 16 year old can be at this point and let's have a little
human decency and compassion and not crucify him anymore. He made huge mistakes and
will now have to live with them. I'm a "new" P5'r and haven't been here long, he's
from what I gathered) a very big contributor here, ranked and all that, so you would
think that one of his "homes" such as P5 would back off a little bit, I'm not saying
back him in his faults, but back off him as a 16 year old can only take so much.
Does this make sense or am I just full of shit?

Tanya Peck


The bottom line is, JJProdigy, being 16 and male and having all this happening to him right now IS in the perfect statistical group for doing the extreme. Therefore, I am leaving the subject alone and will hope that the other online sites that I've contacted (UB and FT) will do their proper investigations and will leave it at that.

There is no need to further crucify a young kid, who although did wrong, is already being punished enough by having his accounts closed, his name and reputation completely tarnished now, and his money taken away from him. IMO.

5 Comments:

Blogger DuggleBogey said...

Why are you euphemizing it? When you say "going to the extreme" do you just mean "killing himself" or something else, like going out and robbing or hurting someone?

When you just say "going to the extreme" it makes you kinda sound like someone who is afraid to say something becuase it might cause it to happen.

And we all know being superstitious is unlucky.

4:11 PM  
Blogger "MissT74" said...

Yeah, you're right and I'm shy on this. Sorry.

4:18 PM  
Blogger "MissT74" said...

I totally agree with your post, I was simply going off of his age, his gender and how the statistics show that the highest suicide group is what he is, but then I had been shown that that's not true, even though I KNOW I heard that before.

So, I still agree with you, but still feel that this is something that could drive him to the brink, especially with all the serious flaming that's going on and think how fragile a young boy's mental status is.

I could be way off base too, but my compassion overrules my indignities of his cheating right now. Sorry if that's wrong, it's just how I feel. : )

9:54 AM  
Blogger "MissT74" said...

Question #1: Whether he does or doesn't do anything irrational as a result of this "event", he still deserved his punishment and I believe it was fitting. However, I can still feel compassion and empathy for what he's feeling, cheater that he is none-the-less. He got his punishment, he has to deal with it. However, the endless crucifying and flaming is unwarranted, IMO. It's like a convicted felon, once he serves his time (is punished) he does not deserve to be punished over and over again by his peers, such as the ridicule that JJ is experiencing.

Yes, he used his intellect to cheat people and that is wrong, but he is also JUST a kid, 16 years old, and at 16, even though you know right from wrong, are you really able to clearly comprehend the outcomes of your actions? I don't think most 16 year olds are, but maybe I'm just being too leniant. (sp?)

I appreciate your feedback.

10:35 AM  
Blogger "MissT74" said...

I hear what you're saying, but he has been punished. $140K of what he THOUGHT was his, literally MONEY IN THE BANK, taken away ALONG WITH 40K in his account, AND in his words, "His world" taken away from him by not being able to play online at this time. Of course, I'm sure he'll find a way to get back online, but I hear you, I still think he was punished and fairly so.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home