My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Too much about me to list here...read my blog...you'll get to know me quite well.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

DAMN You Katrina.

My heart is so heavy, the video and pictures that are coming in are just stunningly obscene. These poor, poor people.

I know a lot of people feel the way I do, a lot of people out there who would like to do something, ANYTHING to help.

We all know that we are able to send donations to Red Cross or FEMA and then hope that money actually goes to what we're donating too....

However, I have another idea. What if we, the poker community, actually came together to help people, families, that we actually KNOW?

Most of you have heard of, or know, Rick "DaVoice" Charles. http://www.voiceofpoker.com/ a very well know, upstanding member of our poker community.

Posted today on his Live Journal Blog http://adb_davoice.livejournal.com/

"Well, Katrina DID do her worst. She turned East right before making mainland landfall and our entire area of Biloxi everywhere from Lee Avenue (about 5 blocks to our West) South of the railroad tracks (5 blocks to our North) and all the way East to the Back Bay of Biloxi has been completely FLATTENED or devastated. It may be more than a week before we're even allowed back in to the neighborhood to see if we can find what used to be our house. We're devastated, we have only the few clothes we were able to pack and get the hell outta dodge. We're at our old Friends Greg and Amy Webb in Asheville, NC just watching the overflight videos of what used to be our neighborhood.

Beth and Michael stayed with Michaels mother in a shelter about 30 miles inland and they are safe, alive and well, although I got an (rare due to communication blackouts from the coast) SMS on my cell this morning from Bethany, they were able to get to their house... It's completely destroyed, although not leveled like ours is. They were barely able to open the door to the house and everything inside is ruined.

We're still not able to get in touch with some of our friends who did NOT heed the warning and are hoping and praying they are alive.

The Emergency Management Office in Biloxi had to be evacuated and 35 people left there wearing life vests into 20 foot seas and have NOT been heard from since."

OMG...can you even imagine the horror of what this family is going through? Yes, they are safe and their family seems to be intact, but "we have only the few clothes we were able to pack..."

So, I replied a post to his post on RGP and have asked him to email me directly. I have spoken about Rick to my husband, and we are going to help him as much we can, financially.

NOW....what about you doing the same? Instead of donating to Red Cross or FEMA, why not donate to someone you know, or know of? What about other families or members of our poker community? Why not start a pool of money and then divide it amongst our own?

Now, Rick is the only one who has posted so far, but I'm sure there are others out there, from our poker community, that could use some help.

Again, what if we all got together and donated to people directly from our community vs. simply handing over to Red Cross?

NOTE: I am NOT talking about holding a charity poker tournament, or asking poker websites to hold tournaments (they'll do that anyways). I'm talking about hard, cold CASH that these people need NOW. Not a month from now, not 2 months from now, but like....today. Tomorrow. Next week.

Am I just a pollyana??? Is this possible???

It would be an honour and privilege to organize this, and I feel that my integrity is above reproach, so trust is not an issue. Please, leave your comment below...let me hear what you, a poker community member, think about this, tell me about other families that need assistance.

Can WE actually make a difference in someone's life at this critical time??

My heart is just so heavy right now.....

2 Comments:

Blogger "MissT74" said...

NO, it's not "selfish" at all. Please don't think that. We give as we can....thanks for the note though!!

4:38 PM  
Blogger zupko2001 said...

This is an awesome idea T. Let me know if you need any help with setting this up.

I would suggest clothing and stuff like that also (along with cash donations) From what I understand when it is set up through groups like Red Cross it is slim pickings for many of the families.

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home