My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Too much about me to list here...read my blog...you'll get to know me quite well.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

So Long...Farewell....

Deep Breath.

Can I relax yet? Oh no....not until we're in Vancouver.

Yes, folks, Tanya is going on vacation. We were presented with a lovely gift of a 7 day Alaskan Princess cruise last Christmas by the in-laws, and we are departing in the early AM tomorrow and will be gone for, gasp, 14 days.

As a business owner, the panic feelings are in full force. I have never, EVER, been gone this long from my business and it totally stresses me out. I thank the stars that I have a most excellent Manager to take care of things while I'm away, but still......I can't help but think that there is no way things will run smoothly without me here and that it's going to be HELL for all employees and how can I even THINK about going away for that long of a time period??? OK, deep breath now.

I have worked my ass off for the last 3 days to make sure that everything is done on my end, nothing else for me to do. I have to continuously remind myself that in my business, there truly is no "emergency" emergency. Everything can, technically, wait for my return, so now all I can do is pray that I don't come home to a storm, but that it's all being run smoothly and like a well-oiled machine.

No communication whatsoever while we're gone. I know the cruise has internet cafes, but Bill and I have made a pact NOT to check email or go online at all while gone. I don't know if we can hold out, but this will be a true test. I already don't think we can, and so have set up a seperate private Yahoo! email for easier emergency contact if needed, by my family or by my Manager. Technically, I'm already cheating, LOL.

So now the work is done, I started doing laundry, I'm ready to pack, ready to gather all my travel documents together...OH SHIT. Where's my birth certificate? Ordered an official copy back in February and due to it being so long ago, I have NO clue to where it is at.

Sigh. Just another thing to add to my stress level.

It's OK, I think I resolved it. I called VitalChek in Arizona, spoke with a live person, got her to print out another certified copy while I was on the phone and she is overnighting it to the hotel in Vancouver, where we will be tomorrow night. Great!

Or so I thought.

Turns out, I need the birth certificate to GET ACROSS the border, not to get on the cruise ship. Sigh.

So, I call the hotel, they set me up with a taxi company and I am going to pay major bucks to have them pick up the Fed Ex package at the hotel and drive it to me at the border, arriving around the same time that my shuttle does. HOPEFULLY this will work.

If I'm back home next week, you know it got all fucked up and my in-laws will absolutely HATE me. However, I will remain calm and feel confident that I have resolved my problem, and that everything will be hunky-dory. (Pray with me for this, please)

We are flying into Seattle, shuttle to Vancouver, boarding the cruise. After it's over, we debark and are staying in a lovely bed and breakfast outside Anchorage until it's time to come home. We actually had to stay an extra 3 days otherwise we would have had to pay an extra 2K each for airline tickets. Ridiculous, but it's forcing us to take a longer vacation, and should I really be complaining??

Anywhoo...try not to miss me too much. I shall have a full trip report upon return, and until then GOOD LUCK to everyone and knock em dead at the tables!

1 Comments:

Blogger Easycure said...

Oh God, good luck.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home