My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Too much about me to list here...read my blog...you'll get to know me quite well.

Monday, April 18, 2005

A New Level Reached??

Is this really just a lucky week for me, or have I passed a level in my poker playing skills?

Is the luck that I've had simply helped me to mentally play better, to play at a different level, or is it real?

I guess time will tell.

Today was Sunday, I'm about to go to bed now and I've had a pretty good day. Of course, you all know about the $1500 WSOP seat won by now, and I am also currently playing a $27/R qualifier for the $650 WSOP Sunday event. I am #1 in chips and there are 8 left, top 2 get seats and 3rd place gets $625. I am not going to play the event, but rather take the $650 in W$, so 3rd place would be AOK in my book. I will keep this blog open, and then post the results once completed.

I played a $10 NLHE MTT on PS, and although I didn't make any "real" money, I did place in about 74th (??) for $30.xx out of 1500+ people. That says something, I think. At least, it does to me.

I guess even if I don't win this current event, I still feel really good about my playing. I have had so many players, and even ones that don't know me from a forum, comment on my play and that really does help the ego a bit. I love it. I have always said that I wanted to be KNOWN in the poker world. I wanted to make a name for myself, maybe that's another reason why I went the tournament route vs. cash games. It's just been an interesting week and I am very proud of what I've accomplished, and the level I've seemed to reach now.

You can count on me to keep it real and stay humble. I KNOW I would be blubbering like an idiot if and when I win a WSOP bracelet. It just means so much to me, personally.

OK, back to the game. OMG...the luck just will NOT stop. So I'm sitting in 1st in chips, and I'm UTG with KQ, one of my fav hands. I raise to 1600, I get called, and the BB moves all in for another $970, so I call as does the guy behind me.

The flop comes 3, K, 7. I checked, because there is an all in. The guy behind me bets 5K, I call. Turn is blank, I check, he bets 5K, I call. River is blank, I check, he checks and sure enough, shows AK. BLEH. So now I'm down to 10K and about 5th place out of 7. I'm doomed...or am I?

2 hands later, I have K 10 and I just call. The BB and I are the only ones in the pot. Flop comes K, 6, 9. I move all in, he calls instantly. Ut oh, I'm thinking...sure enough he shows 6, 9 for two pair on the flop. So I'm praying for a K or a 10 and instead get runner runner J, Q for the straight. Unreal, now I'm back to chip leader position.

2 hands later, I have Ac6c with two callers and the flop comes 6, 3, 4. I check, 2nd player checks, 3rd player moves all in, I call, then the guy behind me calls too. I couldn't figure that one out until the end when he shows two diamonds, he was on the flush draw, it never came and my 6's held up. So I'm at about 48K in chips again, 5 left, and I have a 2:1 chip leader over 2nd place, so I'm pretty much sitting back and hope to float into top 3 with no more major disasters.

OK, so guy gets pretty demolished by another guy, he only has 7K left, its my SB, his BB and I have K, 7 I call, he checks. Flop comes 6, 7, 8 and I bet 1200, he raises me almost all in. I announce that I'll try one time and I call. Turns out he was on a diamond draw and a straight draw and ended up missing. So now there's just 3 of us, and since 1st and 2nd get seats or 650W$, and 3rd gets $625 cash, I see barely any difference in that all and we all agree to go all in on every hand. I end up in 3rd place for the cash which again, will be used for tournaments anyways, so it's all good.

What a day!! Woot Woot!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Congrats, again. I hope to someday get a rush going like this. Hell, we all do.

I've watched some of your play and there's no doubt you're getting the right cards at the right time, and there's no way to succeed in tournaments without runs of luck. But you're playing aggressively and with great confidence, which is also a huge part of it. Strong reraises and your table image enabled you to pick up a lot of chips in hands I watched without you ever having to show.

What's most impressive about this run is that when your stack does get knocked down, you don't fold the tent, you keep playing your game and make strong comebacks.

Keep it up!

5:50 AM  
Blogger "MissT74" said...

Oh Yeah, to spend $650 on ONE tournament, when now I have the means to buy into 4 $160 DS, I have always just felt that the more tries available, the better. Plus, with the DS, you only have to win two SNG's (basically) and with the $650, you have to beat a field of 200+ and come in 1st or 2nd, I don't really see it as being the "best value/deal". I could be way off base though. If I win another one, I MIGHT go ahead and join the $650, then again I may just keep collecting W$ until I have over 10K and then sell them out for the WSOP seat. LOL

9:56 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Sorry if this appears twice ... lost the web page when I first tried to post this. You may (and perhaps should) reconsider when you realize that more than the first couple places get the $10,000 WSOP main event seats. Yesterday the top 15 of 272 won seats, and last Sunday it was 16 of 292. The way you've been playing you could make that cutoff. It might be easier, actually, than winning two sit&go's in a double shootout.

11:14 AM  
Blogger "MissT74" said...

Yeah, I'm thinking about it now. I'll see how the week goes, if I win another one, I'm definantly in.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home